Monday, October 6, 2014

Day 80 through 100

Day 80 - 6.2 miles

Back on the trail from NYC. Got some new gear. Changed my tent and back pack to the Big Agnes Fly Creek and Osprey Exos 48. This saved me about 3.5 lbs. I found a nice spot to camp and set up the new tent. 




Picture of the Hudson River. 


Day 81 - 17.6 miles

Pennsylvania has rocks EVERYWHERE!! My feet hurt! 



That night I stayed with a guy named John Stempa. He was a contributer to the AT guide book. He found a spring on the trail that's named after him. He was loquacious...but nice. 


Day 82 - 24.0 miles 

More rocks! Went through Palmerton area on the trail where there is a deforested ridge due to zinc smelting through the late 1800's until the early 1900's. This area is still affected by these heavy metals. 




Came down this mountain to get to the road in Palmerton. 

Day 83 - 28.2 miles

Still rocky. Had a good day, my biggest day so far. 

This is a black bear.


This guy didn't want to move to let me pass. This is a 5ft rat snake. 


Pinnacle Rock


Pulpit Rock


I ended up in Port Clinton where I met back up with a Rhody and a couple that I hiked with in Maine.

Day 84 - 24.2 miles

Hiked with Up In The Air, Gravity and Rhody today. Rhody and I decided to push on for 5 more miles. 

This was cool. 


Day 85 - 22.1 miles

Hit 1,000 miles today! 


This is a picture of Rhody and his girlfriend. Yes, that is a blowup doll. 


Day 86 - 24.2 miles

Pushed and made it to Duncannon, PA. Got some cool pictures heading over the bridge. 


We headed for the Doyle Hotel. Dirty Mike was there! This place is an AT icon. This place had character. Community bathrooms, paper thin walls and people smoking on most of the floors. Melanie would not have approved. 


Day 87 - 11.3

Dirty Mike and the boys are back together again. 



My pack was so heavy! Must eat more food!

Day 88 - 18.2 miles

Had fun with the guys hiking through hay pastures. 



This truck looked like it had been crashed about 60 years ago. See the sapling growing right through the middle?



Went through Boiling Springs, PA today. This is where the ATC Mid-Atlantic Regional office is located.






Day 89 - 25.2 miles

Hit the midpoint of the AT!!!



We went a little crazy.




Day 90 - 13.0 miles short day due to needing to resupply. We hitched a ride to town in the back of a guy's truck, then had to night hike to camp. 



Day 91 - 19.8 miles 

Crossed into Maryland today and crossed the Mason-Dixon Line. Rhody was very unsure about traveling past this area.... What a baby!  

Day 92 - 11.5 miles

Short day because we all hiked into Smithsburg to watch the UGA vs UT game. Dirty Mike is from Tennessee so... he was disappointed when they lost. Hehehe. Cooked dinner on a rocky cliff and watched the sunset. 



Day 93 - 25.4 miles 

Stopped and looked at the George Washington monument. 



A cool bridge to get over the highway. 


The Potomac River. 


Made it to Harpers Ferry, WV! We all checked in at the ATC. I was #99 southbound AT through hiker that year. 

Day 94 - 20.4 miles

I left Harpers Ferry alone. The guys were going to take a day off and go to D.C.  Hit Virginia, my 11th state. This state is over 500 miles long so I will be here for a while. 


Day 95 - 27.8 miles

Hit an area called The Roller Coaster today. 

It wasn't too bad, still smiling. 



Day 96 - 18.6 miles

Started raining late that night and through the morning. The rain slows everything down and kills my spirit. I entered Shenandoah National Park today. 



I met 2 retired physicians at the shelter that night named John and Marvin. They had a snoring competition while I was trying to sleep! The one on the left could be Rob Pate's twin. 


Day 97 - 28.4 miles

Big day! Hit the highest point in SNP. It's called Stony Man Summit. The elevation is 3,837ft. 




Day 98 - 20.5 miles

Another cold rainy day. I get to see Melaine today though!! I tried to hitch and couldn't get a ride from anyone. I finally got one and while waiting to be picked up by Mel I saw my reflection and realized..... I look very scary. So I decide to look as scary as possible and took pictures to share with everyone. 




I wouldn't have picked me up either. 

Day 99 and 100 - Zero days with my beautiful, amazing, thoughtful, talented, fun loving wife. 

We stayed in Harrisonburg, 
VA and drove up Skyline Drive. 





Melanie being awesome again. 





Total miles- 1,280.4
Miles left- 903.3

Special thanks to Marti from Marti's at Midday for sending my favorite food with Melanie. Thank you Jolin for my new Bikram Athens shirt! And to David Miller for sending the awesome beef jerky! 

Thanks to everyone for your comments. I wish I could respond to them all and I love reading them! Thanks to everyone who is following along. Miss everyone back home. Enjoy. 


"Buy the ticket, take the ride"
                     HST

No comments:

Post a Comment