Wednesday, August 13, 2014

Day 40 - 47

Day 40 - Zero in Hanover NH

Day 41 - 14.7 miles

The trail goes right through downtown Hanover and Dartmouth college. 


Went over the Connecticut River and I was in Vermont! State number 3!


On the way there was tons of trail magic. People left coolers of drinks out and food for hikers. Very exciting!





Day 42 - 21.5 miles

Great day! The trail goes through some private lands in VT. 



Made it to the Lookout cabin. This is a privately owned cabin that the owners let hikers use as a shelter. It has an awesome tower on top with an amazing 360 degree view. 







Day 43 - 8.1 miles  :(

Wimpy day. I rolled my ankle coming down Quimby mountain. I decided to hike down to Killington to get some food. ..... Then I got lazy. I decided to stay at the Inn and rest my ankle. 

Day 44 - 18.3 + 8= 26.3 (I will explain)

Woke up early and wanted to make up for yesterday. So I got out on the trail and I was killing it!! No breaks! Then I ran into a guy on the trail coming the opposite direction. We started talking and he said he was going south.... I said I'm going south too. One of us was going the wrong direction. Turns out I was going NORTH on the "Long Trail" (This is a trail that ends up running along with the AT and it's also a white blaze trail). I had gone 4 miles in the wrong direction on the wrong trail! Needless to say, I was disappointed. So that's why I did 8 extra miles today. I still had a nearly 4,000 ft climb over Killington Mt. I hit just over 500 miles today!!

"I would walk 500 miles and I would walk 1,700 more just to be the man who walked 2,200 miles and fell down at your door..."

Love you Melanie! 

Day 45 - 18.6 miles

Had a good day and hungout by little rock pond and ate some food. 


Day 46 - 14.8 miles

Had a great day. I was heading for Manchester Center, VT. Went over Bromley Mt. It's a ski resort and actually walked down a ski slope for about half a mile. 



Got a hitch into town and went to EMS (Eastern Mountain Sport) to change my shoes. The Solomon's I got were tearing up my heals. I changed to Brooks trail running shoes. I stayed at a place called Green Mountain House. Wow, what a great place. Jeff, the owner, is super nice. We have a kitchen to use, TV, sitting area and it's super clean. It's basically are own house for hikers. They also give every hiker a pint of Ben & Jerry's ice cream!




What a great place. With my heals blistered and hurting, a weather report of rain and a wonderful place to stay.... I decided to take a zero here. 

Day 47 - Zero at the Green Mountain House 


538.1 miles total
1,647.2 left


Enjoy!












No comments:

Post a Comment