Sunday, August 24, 2014

Day 48 to 58

Day 48 - 21.1 miles

After a zero day and new, new shoes I felt great. Had some good views and was in no rush. The trail is much easier here in Vermont. 

Beautiful sunrise before leaving the Green Mountain House hostel. 


My new, new shoes!!


This is a picture of Bromley Mountain. This is the ski resort I walked through in my last post. 


Day 49 - 17.4 miles

It was a cold, windy and rainy day. The temperature was around 49 degrees. I took several breaks to dry off in shelters and ended up hiking in the dark with my headlamp on. 

When I see rocks like this I just wonder, how did this get here?


Day 50 - 20.0 miles

Today was a good day. I made it to Massachusetts, my 4th state! I knew I would be heading into the town of North Adams, MA. I hit up the local all you can eat Chinese resturant. After I ate 4 plates of food they brought out my check.... I wasn't done yet. I stayed for about 2 hours. Needs less to say I was stuffed!

Vermont and Massachusetts state line. 


Day 51 - 14.7 miles

I climbed Mt. Greylock today. This is the highest peak in Massachusetts. It had a really cool tower on top and a very nice cabin. Hikers can stay there but it was expensive.  The clouds started to roll in as I was on the mountain top. 



View from Mt. Greylock




Made it into a town called Cheshire. I walked through a corn field to get there and saw this funny sign. 




Several north bounders had told me about the hotdog stand in town. I decided I needed to check it out and this is what happened. 



A Catholic Parrish in town lets hikers stay for the night so I headed there. On the way there I could feel extrem pain in my left shin. It turned out to be the start of a shin splint. 

Day 52 - 8.8 miles

Short day due to shin pain. I got a motel room and a shower. 

This is a view of Cheshire. 



Day 53 - 11.8 miles 

Left my motel room early with the hopes of a good mileage day. 


Even with the rest, Motrin, and an ace bandage my leg was still hurting!

Day 54 - 8.8 miles 

Another short day. Not only was my leg hurting but I was feeling weak and fatigued. I made it to Upper Goose Pond Cabin. At this cabin the caretaker makes everyone pancakes and coffee in the morning, so I stayed the night. 

Took a nap on the dock by the pond. 


I ended up going to bed around 5pm and slept all night till breakfast at 7am. 

Day 55 - 15.8 miles

Had pancakes, coffee and headed out. About an hour into the hike I got stung by 2 yellow jackets. My ankle swelled and it took my mind off my shin pain for awhile. No major allergic reactions. 



I also was having stomach pain throughout the day. As I was feeling sorry for myself I saw something large start moving very close to my feet. It was a porcupine! He immediately started climbing a tree. 



I watched him for several minutes. He started gnashed his teeth at me and I decided it was time to move on. 

Day 56 - 11.7 miles

Woke up this morning with extreme stomach pain. I was weak and nauseated. I made it to town and after talking to Moz, I might have got Giardia. Got antibiotic and rested in my motel room. After the shin splints and the stomach issues (and urging of family) I decided this would be a good time to take a few days off. 

Day 57 - Zero

Day 58 - Zero

Felling much better!! Ready to get back out there!


I have already told my family this but now I'm telling you: If at any point I feel that I might do long term or substantial damage to my body or my health I will leave the trail. I'm going to listen to what my body tells me and try not to be a hero out here... That's how people get hurt. 

Thanks you all for your comments, I love reading them when I get to town. Keep em' coming!


Total miles - 668.2
Miles left - 1,517.1

Enjoy!
 















No comments:

Post a Comment