Monday, July 7, 2014

Greetings from the AT everyone!

I finished the 100 mile wilderness yesterday and was greeted by my cousin Moz and his dog Rocky who drove me to town to get a room. He also met me with plenty of food and drinks! What a lifesaver, thanks Moz! 

 So here's the run down people. I will be posting about once per week when I have down time and/or phone service. So if you don't see a post for awhile this is why. Don't get worried.

So here's what's been going on the past week. Made it to Maine on the 25th and hung out with Moz and Allysa at their beautiful home in Norway, Maine. 



Headed to Baxter State Park Friday afternoon and spent the night. Saturday Cyrus, Moz and myself climbed mount Katadin. It was a total of 4,162 vertical feet! It took about 7 hours total to go up and down.



Day 1: Mt. Katahdin - 5.2 miles (10.4 miles total up and down)

Day 2: Baxter State Park - 13.4 miles (Bugs, bugs, bugs!! blister started)

Day 3: Entering the 100 mile wilderness - 11.5 miles


Day 4: 8.1 miles, rest up and let my feet heal. I was hiking with a couple named Chad and Shelly. We found a sand beach and all took a hiker bath while washing our clothes at the same time. On the way back to camp I saw my first black bear. He scared away easily and we didn't see them again. 





Day5: 21.5 miles!!! 
Chad and Shelly started to slow down and they told me to go on ahead. I started booking it through the rain. I hiked about 7 miles in my crocs, due to my feet hurting from blisters on my heals.  While hiking through the rain I came upon a beautiful female moose drinking from a lake. It was very powerful. What a majestic animal. She saw me right away and we just stared at each other for sometime. 



Day 6: 11.7 more rain and spirits were low. Missing friends and family. Here are some built in steps that you will see on the trail sometimes. 


Day 7: 17.1 miles. I hiked from 8:30am to 7:45pm. Climbed White Cap mountain and Chair Back mountain. I also crossed a river that was 3.5 ft deep and about 150 feet across. 




Day 8: 10.9 miles. It was a very cold and windy day. The temperature was around 52 but with the wind chill it could have been 40 or so. 


Day 9: 15.1 miles end of 100 mile wilderness!!!! 

It makes for such a long day when you know you will see family and get to eat some good food. I had 5 river crossing and at the first one there was a dead moose. 





I got lost twice and was hurting all over and just wanted to get out of there. Finally made it close to the end and was met on the trail by Moz and Rocky with food and drinks! Thanks again Moz, for everything. Love you cuz. 


I miss all my family and friends back home, everyone from AFDC, Alumni and caduceus. Talk you soon.  











No comments:

Post a Comment